2012 Zinfandel — Red Wine Braised Brisket with Root Puree on Crostini
2012 Zinfandel – Our 2012 Zinfandel has notes of bright blackberry and cherry cola with highlights of integrated spicy French oak.
Red Wine Braised Beef Brisket with Root Puree on Crostini
Ingredients for Brisket
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 (3 pound) beef brisket
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix thyme, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl and rub the mixture over both sides of brisket.
- Heat olive oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat; place brisket in the hot oil and brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove brisket from pan and set aside.
- Place red onion slices into the hot roasting pan and cook and stir until onion is slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in beef broth, tomato sauce, and wine.
- Place the brisket back into the roasting pan and cover pan with foil.
- Roast the brisket in the preheated oven for 1 hour; remove foil and baste brisket with pan juices. Place foil back over roasting pan and roast brisket until very tender and pan sauce has thickened, 1 1/2 to 2 more hours.
Ingredients for Root Puree
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup root parsley, chopped
1 cup parsnips, chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp. salt
Roast all ingredients mixed together on a sheet pan in a 400F oven for 25-35 minutes, until very soft and caramelized. Blend in food processor, adding a touch more olive oil or vegetable stock, if needed for texture to create a smooth puree.
Top slices of baguette or crustini with puree and thin slices of brisket. Serve warm or room temperature.